This article gives you a complete guide that lets you know a step by step process on how to get a permanent job at Microsoft as a fresher or experienced professional.
How to get a permanent job at Microsoft (a step-by-step guide)
Getting a permanent job at Microsoft involves various process and preparations such as finding a matching job for you, refining your resume, finding a career fit, applying a job, interview preparation, hiring process and post interview procedures. Scroll down to know everything in a detailed manner.
How to apply for Microsoft jobs?
Microsoft offers now 7000+ job opportunities worldwide. You can use search filter options to find a matching job for you. You can find jobs filtering range of professions, disciplines and locations.
Various professions to apply for Microsoft jobs
- Customer Success
- Business Programs & Operations
- Hardware Engineering
- Data Center
- Inside Sales and Solutions
- Technical Sales
- Business Development & Strategy
- Supply Chain & Operations Management
- Human Resources
- Hardware Manufacturing Engineering
- Legal & Corporate Affairs
- IT Operations
- Business Development & Ventures
- Field Business Leadership
- Real Estate, Facilities, & Construction
Apply on Microsoft career site
Once you find the right job that seems best fit for you, begin applying online through Microsoft career site. Click the sign-in button at the top right corner when applying and pick out your chosen mode of authentication and create your profile. You can also sign-in with the social icon but remember to do the same whenever accessing your account.
Microsoft employee referral program
Microsoft encourage candidate to reach out to its current employees or former employees (if you have one) so they help reach your resume submit to hiring panel.
How a fresher to get a job at Microsoft?
Microsoft career site has separate search option for students and fresh graduates to kick start your career at Microsoft. All you have to do is refine your search and apply a job as per Microsoft norms.
Step by step hiring process to get a permanent job at Microsoft
For those who appear to be a strong match with the job requirements would be contacted by the Microsoft recruiter for further rounds of interview processes. From where the Microsoft recruitment process begins to assess the potential applicant.
The hiring process may vary depending on the position you apply. Any stages of interview, make sure to demonstrate your abilities and skills are perfect fit to the role.
Microsoft hiring process step by step
Microsoft interviews include 4 to 5 rounds of interviews as follows
- Online Assessment
- Phone/Video interview
- Onsite Interview
- Technical cum HR round
Following COVID19 awareness and promoting employee and candidate safety, Microsoft have shifted all in-person interview to virtual interview globally until further notice.
Interview preparations tips to get a job at Microsoft
Pre interview process
If you’ve got been requested to sign an NDA prior to your interviews, please read the record in your Action Center and sign to acknowledge which you comply with the terms.
Video Calling App Setup
All Microsoft virtual interviews are held vial Microsoft Teams app. In order to go through an interview, set up the MS Team App in your computer. If need for any 3rd party apps the recruiter shares the info prior to interview.
Establish your thinking and curiosity
During interview, the minute you asked to resolve a problem or develop code – state your potentials, and be ready to share your ideas or explain your thoughts. Microsoft wants you to understand not only what you know, but also how you plan, think and execute. Be organized to share your thought process and elucidate the foundation behind your decisions.
Have meaningful interaction
The Interviewer doesn’t expect you to know everything but assess the essential knowledge potentials throughout the interview. When you get jammed or not familiar with the subject matter, ask clarifying queries that show your collaboration, integrity and ability to be practical.
Answer in STAR(R) model
The STAR(R) method will help your answer the structured manner which the Microsoft interviewers prefer. Explain a past experience with proper data.
- Situation: The situation that required your contribution to solve.
- Task: What was your task toward the situation
- Action: What was your action
- Result: What was he results
- Reflection: The benefits you or your team gained.
Do well research
Get deep understanding of the position that you applied for. Do sound research about Microsoft business and how important the position you applied is for the growth of the company. Acquire adequate knowledge about the company, tech industry, teams, culture, etc. Also, be prepared the question to ask the interviewer.
Verify your abilities
The interview questions are focused to assess your competencies and about your resume. Think of your core competencies. Be mindful about the Microsoft core competencies mentioned below and incorporate them in your answers.
- Drive for results
- Customer focus
- Influencing for impact
Know Microsoft culture
At Microsoft, the team believes that living in its culture is the key to success. Thus, the interviews focus the following aspects expected from a candidate and selecting people with right mindset and skill to foster Microsoft’s today and tomorrow.
- Growth Mindset
- Diverse & Inclusive
- Manager Expectations
Microsoft job interview questions for freshers and experienced
Basic interview questions
- Tell me about your background?
- What do you want achieve at Microsoft?
- Why do you want to work at Microsoft?
- have you ever been worked at Microsoft partners?
- Can you tell me about your accomplishments?
- What gives you energy?
- What is your strength?
- What is your weakness?
- Which is you favorite Microsoft product or service, why?
Behavioral interview questions
- How would you handle a situation where you could not deliver a product on time?
- How do you know you could make a difference?
- Are you a hunter or gatherer person?
- When have you faced failure before in a team setting and how did you react?
- How do you reengage a customer that has gone dark on you?
- How would you describe a perfect product?
- How would you collaborate with regionally dispersed teams?
- Tell me about a time when you had a hardship and solved it?
- What is something you would change about the company?
- How would you form a roadmap for success and what milestone indicators would you use?
- Describe a time where you were getting pressure from a customer or colleague
- What is the one thing you say “no” at work?
- Talk about a time the requirements for a project were abruptly changed
30 frequent job interview questions for Software engineers at Microsoft permanent staffing
- What is your favorite piece of technology?
- How would you design and implement battleship?
- What programming languages do you use?
- Create a function that returns the duplicates in an array
- Explain medium level DFS, array, string, some design questions
- Design a fridge for a person in wheelchair?
- Explain recursion to a 5-year-old
- How would you reverse a linked list?
- When is a tree search algorithm better than another, given a distributed computing environment?
- Code for search element in sorted and rotated array
- Describe the cloud to a 4-year-old child.
- How would you describe a computer to a child?
- How do you juggle tasks from different resources?
- Explain traversing a Binary search tree
- Are you familiar with any topics such as machine learning?
- Explain unique characters in a string only using array.
- How do you build DNS?
- How do you implement skip list?
- What is PCA?
- How to be processes arranged in the ram?
- Design an O (1) queue with O (1) random access?
- What do you like about technology and why?
- Explain binary search trees – preorder traverse?
- How would you write an encryption function?
- What was your familiarity with cloud systems?
- What is AD, DNS, knowledge on Microsoft Azure etc.?
- How would you build a kitchen for your grandparents?
- Implement logger in any coding language?
- Describe the path that a network packet takes between two computers?
- How to define CSS variables?
FAQ’s about getting job at Microsoft
Companies like Microsoft always focusing to hire people who highly matches the job requirements, mindset and culture. So, it’s not appropriate to ask, how hard is to get a job at Microsoft but rather you must check how capable you as an applicant.
An educational qualification and skill requirement differ from position to position. Read the job description carefully at any given job posts. Where you will find clear indications about minimum and maximum qualification required for the position. For example, at recent job post for Software Engineer – Internship Opportunity for Students requires:
1-2 years of exp. programming in C++, Java / another computer prog. languages preferred.
A bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science / related field
1-2 years of experience in C/C++/C#/VB.NET and exp designing and developing tool arch. preferred.
On indeed.com, the majority of the experienced job applicant reports that it takes 2 weeks to one month for getting hired at Microsoft. Whereas the fresher or entry level applicant it may take up to two months.
The Microsoft employees get paid average range from ₹ 12,000 per month for customer service reps. while Sr. Software Engineer earn ₹ 1,00,000 per month. The average annual salary ranges from ₹ 1,53,600 for sales representatives and ₹ 21,50,000 for Senior Software Engineer at India. Indeed.com reports.
Average salaries for “Microsoft” jobs in United States (Source indeed.com Mar’21)
Retail Sales Associate $37,906 per year
Solution Specialist $45,597 per year
Program Manager $84,635 per year
Technology Solutions Professional $90,334 per year
Software Architect $136,076 per year
Account Executive $66,803 per year
Software Engineer $110,304 per year
Service Advisor $54,965 per year
Field Engineer $74,825 per year
Senior Software Engineer $131,966 per year
Wear whatever makes you most comfortable. You don’t need to dress-up to impress the Microsoft interviewers.
Microsoft interviews are bit difficult when it comes to a technical part. Enough preparation is required to solve coding related problems. The difficulty level has been rated as 3.1 for 5 out 10460 candidate reviews in glassdoor.
A brief about Microsoft – you should know to get a permanent job with the tech giant.
As you interest to get a permanent job at Microsoft, first you must ask yourself what do you know about the company. Here’s at a glance about Microsoft.
Microsoft, a software & engineering industry with the employee strength of over 160 thousand worldwide and serving offices at across globe. The company founded in the year 1975 by Bill Gates and Paul Halen now headquarters in Redmond, Washington, United States and value of $946.5 billion, according to Forbes.
Microsoft key people list – CEO: Satya Nadella, Chairman: John W. Thompson, President: Brad Smith and Technical Advisor: Bill Gates
Microsoft product and services:
- Software: Windows apps, Skype, OneNote, OneDrive, Outlook.
- Entertainment: Windows digital games, Xbox games, PC games, Movies & TV, Books
- Developer & IT: .NET, Windows Dev Center, Visual Studio, Windows Server, Docs
- PCs & Devices: Accessories, PCs & tablets
- Business: Microsoft Azure, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Dynamics 365, Data platform, Microsoft Industry, Microsoft Advertising, Licensing
- Other: Microsoft Store, Free downloads & security, Education, Microsoft Rewards, Store locations, Gift cards
Microsoft Perks and benefits.
No wonder why someone love to get a permanent job at Microsoft as the pay and benefits are impressive.
The payscale.com tells an average annual salary for a software engineer at Microsoft estimates ₹1,043,257 in India. While ladder.com estimates $93,938 at USA.
Microsoft provides several other benefits such as health benefits, health insurance, life insurance, pension benefits, tax free benefits, retirement benefits and savings benefits.
Microsoft is so famous for its advantages and prestige that there certainly isn’t a scarcity of qualified applicants. It isn’t unexpected to examine that the tech giant has a large pool of talent to pick out from. But it doesn’t matter if you are capable to meet all the job requirements. However, hiring managers are also looking for candidates that fit the organization’s cultural identity. You seem good enough to manage the interview but you may unnoticed the other area that is essential. Get full knowledge of Microsoft businesses interview process, interview questions and all other factors furnished in this article.
Support Author? Use this Amazon link and purchase any products: https://amzn.to/3oaELfz