Job ID 126851
This is a full-time remote position within the United States.
The Research Application Solutions Unit is seeking a Technical Specialist to design and build services that support the Rheumatology Research Core’s new electron microscope service as well as provide cross support to the computational resources located in the KERN Center, and the Aging and Dementia Research Core. The primary role will be to help expand and design enhanced services for researchers wanting to consume the imaging resources of the electron microscope located in the Rheumatology Core. The applications and infrastructure located in the various cores leverage both local and Cloud based computing, Big Data, and digital image pipeline processing using state of the art software applications and frameworks. The candidate will also include working alongside other senior systems administrators to help support a variety of research based computational environments. Our Technical Specialists ensure that the on prem and cloud-based services will adhere to uptime and accuracy targets, and are resilient, and will scale as data volumes and end user traffic increase. They work closely with the data engineering, platforms, and other application and system service teams to develop applications as required to benefit research, our practice, and its patients.
- Works closely with the Product Owners, Product Managers, Research Operational Administrators, and System Architects to translate requirements into new services.
- Develop services and applications around image processing, research related large data sets and will use both on prem and cloud based computing resources.
- Document and automate protocols used by the lab to capture, process, and deliver the images processed by the electron microscopes used in the Rheumatology core.
- Should have experience in programming in high-level languages such as C, C++, C#, R, Python, Java etc.
- Have experience in working in a Systems Administration role as needed, providing support for Unix, Linux based infrastructure.
- Should be able to work with compiling, and creating operating system distributions, along with having a working understanding of systems management, Slurm, and or Kubernetes, etc.
- Should have worked with deploying imaging-based applications, and in working with various digital image formats.
- Having a working understanding or willingness to learn how to administer RStudio Server, Posit!, and have a working understanding Jupyter Notebooks is considered a plus.
- Ensure all appropriate documentation of processes and services for the various cores are created and maintained.
- Communicate effectively with peers, leaders, and customers throughout the organization.
- Participate in expert level troubleshooting and resolve problems through root cause analysis, and system impairment resolution.
- Contributes to design and future architecture and service expansion discussions with Principals and Architects in IT.
- Work independently with minimal guidance. You may lead projects or project steps within a broader project or have accountability for ongoing activities or objectives.
- Act as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
Mayo Clinic will not sponsor or transfer visas for this position including F1 OPT STEM.
Bachelor’s degree and 5 years’ experience including 3 years’ of demonstrated technical experience and 1 year of demonstrated leadership experience; Or, Associate’s degree and 9 years’ experience including 3 years’ of demonstrated technical experience.Capable of moving among work areas and willing to do so. Demonstrated project and deliverable consistency through repeatable and reliable performance. Proven evidence of project management skills. Demonstrated oral and written communication, organization, problem solving, and facilitation skills. Evidence of mastery level expertise in one computing technology. Demonstrated ability in solving complex technical problems with multiple computing technologies. Experience working in healthcare technology. Exposure to managing both custom developed and vendor-supplied applications. Master’s degree in applicable field preferred.
Have a working knowledge of software engineering and systems administration with experience coding applications or services in a high-level language (C, C++, Java, C# etc.) and a basic knowledge of related fields. Demonstrated problem solving and time management skills. Possesses strong technical aptitude for designing and implementing software solutions. Experience with modern application development frameworks. Deep hands-on technical expertise in working not only at the hardware level, but can also support the operating system, system administration, and can help scale systems using virtualization to make usage of the electron microscope services easy to operate and process the resulting data produced by the core. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a must.
$105,269 – $157,040 / year
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, some on call and evenings as needed.
Some on call and evenings as needed.
- United States,
- Full Time
- Information Technology
Location: US (Remote)