Job ID 124919
Empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more. Remote Microsoft Senior Tax Manager. That’s what inspires us, drives our work, and pushes us to challenge the status quo every day. We also work to empower our employees, so they can achieve more. We believe we should each find meaning in our work, and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
Microsoft Tax & Customs is responsible for Worldwide Tax & Customs Reporting, Compliance, and Planning, including the technology and process functions to support the coordination of these functions. There are four major functions within the Tax and Customs Department: 1) Tax Reporting and Transfer Pricing 2) Customs, Tax Process & Innovation 3) Corporate Tax Planning & Controversies, Indirect Tax & Global Business Initiatives 4) Tax & Customs Controllership, Policy and Benefits Taxation.
The US Indirect Tax Compliance Team ensures US and Canadian companies within Microsoft can sell and expand without interruption by managing indirect tax and accounting processes. Our team partners with internal and external stakeholders to review and mitigate risks and expenses related to transactional tax and other filing obligations worldwide.
- Advise on US and Canadian tax considerations, implications and risk regarding Microsoft telecommunications business initiatives.
- Manage US and Canadian tax audits related to telecommunications offerings, data analysis, evaluating audit findings, driving tax positions, preparing and coordinating responses to inquiries from tax authorities and preparing and presenting to tax authorities.
- Work cross-functionally within Tax and across Business, Finance, Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs (CELA) and Engineering.
- Monitor business and legislative changes impacting US and Canadian telecommunications tax positions, compliance and business initiatives.
- Perform legal research and analysis.
- Ensure compliance with applicable tax laws and regulations in both launch and operations.
- Develop understanding of Microsoft businesses, tax positions and internal financial systems and tools to mitigate tax risk and optimize opportunities.
- Partner with tax technology team to implement improvements related to process, technology, and reporting analytics.
- Engage in continuous learning of Microsoft services, products, infrastructure, operations and go-to-market.
- Embody our culture and values
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Tax, Law, or related field AND 6+ years of direct and indirect tax compliance, tax returns, tax accounting, or tax audit management experience
- OR Master’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Tax, Law, or related field AND 6+ years of direct and indirect tax compliance, tax returns, tax accounting, or tax audit management experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Tax, Law, or related field AND 8+ years of direct and indirect tax compliance, tax returns, tax accounting, or tax audit management experience
- OR Master’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Tax, Law, or related field 8+ years of direct and indirect tax compliance, tax returns, tax accounting, or tax audit management experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Master of Laws (LLM), or similar certification.
- 7+ years of relevant experience in taxes and fees related to telecommunications offerings;
- Experience in both industry and law firm/accounting firm highly desired;
- Audit experience with telecommunications taxes and fees preferred;
- Partnering capabilities with proven ability to develop meaningful relationships with cross-functional stakeholders and to influence and collaborate across groups;
- Ability to think end-to-end from strategic planning through multi-year execution;
- Proficient oral and written communication and analytical skills; ability to communicate complex analysis in a clear, simple way;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills with experience exercising mature judgment and best practices;
- Proven success managing and prioritizing multiple projects across a fast-paced and continually changing environment;
- Highly organized, self-motivated and autonomous with ability to quickly identify prioritization and execute efficiently.
Tax IC4 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $91,800 – $178,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $117,900 – $195,000 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. Consistent with applicable law, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran or military status, race, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application process, read more about requesting accommodations.