Job ID 126600
Software Engineer – Identity Experiences, Health Job Description
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App has grown rapidly to tens of millions of users moving billions of dollars daily. To support this, we are building out Health — a new Platform organization responsible for product experiences aimed at promoting the health of the increasingly complex Cash App ecosystem. Health works to improve Cash App access for our customers, while limiting access for bad or unauthorized users by detecting and preventing improper use across all of our core product areas. The teams under Health creating these mission critical services and products include Identity, Access, Risk Controls and Support Automation.
We appreciate broad perspectives, a willingness to dive deep, and a readiness to work collaboratively across many disciplines (including product, design, operations, legal, data science, ML).
About Identity Experiences
The Identity Experiences team is a server engineering team that works cross-functionally with a variety of disciplines — mobile/client engineering, design, product, data science, and compliance.
Cash App is building the most relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible financial app in the world. This team’s mission is to create a customer identity and limits system to support Cash App’s growth, while maintaining high levels of customer trust. We work with some of our customers’ most sensitive data, and we take privacy and security seriously.
As a member of the Cash App Identity team, you will:
- Design, build and support the core systems used to manage identity on Cash App
- Work with cross-functional partners to build an increasingly intuitive and low friction identity verification system that can achieve global scale.
- Work with cross-functional partners to build the least intrusive and easiest to understand limits system in any financial app
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- Leverage industry-leading identify verification technologies
- Be involved in defining and implementing an expanding roadmap
- Be on a team that is part of a 24/7 on-call support roster for our services
- BA/BS in computer science or equivalent experience
- 2+ years working on complex systems and delivering quality software
- Strong programming skills, with fluency in at least one programming language
- Solid understanding of software development and testing best practices
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to debug complex software issues
- Worked on systems where data consistency and availability is required
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Willingness to learn, adapt and stay up to date with industry trends, emerging technologies and regulatory requirements
You may also have:
- Knowledge of identity verification concepts such as KYC (Know Your Customer), AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and document verification
- Experience working with data infrastructures, SQL and NoSQL databases (design, querying, performance optimization)
- Familiarity with machine learning concepts for data analysis and fraud detection
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin
- JUnit, Hibernate, Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Kafka and event driven architecture
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 – USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 – USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 – USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 – USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block’s policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block’s equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
Apply for the Job