Job ID 124682
If you’re passionate about helping people protect what matters most to them, as well as innovating and simplifying processes and operations to provide the best customer value, then Nationwide’s Property and Casualty team could be the place for you! Business Development -Surety/Large Contract Territory Manager
Compensation grade: G.SD130
This is a hybrid office/work from home opportunity. Preferred California work location is the Los Angeles metro area.
Job Description Summary
Do you thrive in an environment where you can put your critical thinking and communication skills to work every day? Do you appreciate being able to contribute individually as well as collaboratively? Our Surety Underwriting team values initiative, the ambition to grow and learn, a broad skill set that includes everything from marketing to finance to risk analysis and a solutions-oriented mindset. We’re technology savvy and highly motivated to grow our business with excellent career advancement opportunities. If you can see yourself as a member of our team, in a company that wants to grow in this space, then we want to know more about you!
Primary relationship manager within a territory for more complex surety business. Markets, manages and underwrites a new and renewal surety book, through direct contact with select agencies or brokers. Drives profit and premium to meet financial goals and objectives through development, negotiation and execution of business plans. Leads and influences agencies through creation of sales strategies and implementation of sales processes and practices that drive new sales, increase shelf space, profit and customer retention. Collaborates with all lines of business to support and increase the overall NW presence. Under limited direction, underwrites accounts based on authority level granted to the role and underwriting appetite.
- Monitors market conditions, competitive landscape, and confirms information gathered within market space. Researches risk, environment and factors necessary to win the account.
- Analyzes quality and quantity of risks underwritten and prepares reports accordingly. Accurately evaluates complex risk exposures and ensures review of financial statements, credit reports, bank and other underwriting documents. Underwrites new business, selects acceptable risks to class and price according to guidelines, and rejects business that is unacceptable. Analyzes regional underwriting performance experience, identifies problems on a territory level and proposes action plans to address/rectify those situations.
- Achieves production, profitability and service objectives. Within delegated authority levels and company guidelines, accepts, rejects or modifies new surety business of a more complex nature to ensure profitability. Prices business according to company underwriting and pricing guidelines. Decisions require review of multiple variables, leveraging agency relationships, underwriting tools and evaluation of exceptions. Reviews for acceptability and handles those within authority using company underwriting guidelines and standards.
- Manages workflow and intricacies of underwriting more complex assigned work, utilizing company tools and systems to meet service level agreements. Ensures file handling quality and workflow efficiency with a thorough understanding of overall surety strategic direction and operating plans. Manages large, complex work and coordinates work with and through others to meet service level agreements.
- Drives robust agency business planning to deliver detailed performance plans with actions, accountabilities and scheduled performance checkpoints. Ensures strong territorial objectives to maximize profit and pipeline management. Proactively identifies opportunities for all lines to cross sell and refers to appropriate business leaders. Identifies prospects and recommends new agency appointments.
- Markets company’s products and services to help drive agency and company results, including all enterprise products that may enhance offerings. Assists agency with strategies for pipeline management and to develop new business in targeted industries and preferred markets. Responds effectively to assess accounts and develop business propositions that win the business.
- Proactively with agents, accounts and internal partners to resolve business issues and makes recommendations based on findings. Shares understanding of organizational capabilities and opportunities to drive maximum value of relationships. Consults regarding the appetite, acceptability, terms, conditions, pricing and sales techniques of large or unique business. Provides industry trend observations to leadership. Consults with agencies to improve retention and profitability.
- Effectively communicates with agencies to establish the company as the surety provider of choice for the territory. Communicates product, technology changes and company objectives. Communicates and collaborates actively with leadership to share industry trends and field underwriting experience.
- Completes agency visits as appropriate to develop new accounts, service existing accounts, review agency performance and enhance agency relationship. Develops and maintains strong business relationships with agencies, producers and key groups.
- Leads delivery of appropriate customer service levels. Follows up and ensures proper handling of escalated customer service requests.
- Ensures that tools, training and support are in place to positively impact success for assigned agencies. Identifies and communicates training needs and opportunities. Participates in program and product orientation meetings in conjunction with Sales/Marketing partners as the underwriting subject matter expert. Provides professional development knowledge and insight to team members. May help mentor new field underwriters and provide coaching.
- Proven ability to manage heavy workload effectively and backup other team members as needed. Monitors business plan results to determine performance and development of any action plans to ensure alignment with underwriting philosophies, standards and performance expectations. Reviews business in process, lost business and drives implementation of business plan.
May Perform Other Responsibilities As Assigned.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to manager or director. No direct reports.
Typical Skills And Experiences
Education: Undergraduate degree in business or a related field preferred.
License/Certification/Designation: Pursuit of technical insurance coursework such as AFSB is highly desirable.
Experience: Seven years of progressively responsible surety underwriting experience preferred. Expertise in markets consistent with our underwriting appetite and product portfolio preferred.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Thorough knowledge of surety value proposition and ability to communicate to producers and principals. Working knowledge of state laws and regulations required. Expert level of knowledge of surety underwriting and is familiar with surety forms and the requirements of the territory. Thorough working knowledge of company marketing/underwriting standards and philosophies. Excellent knowledge of surety products and programs in order to teach aspects of material to others. In-depth working knowledge of effective sales & marketing and agency relationship management techniques. Excellent interpersonal and sales skills. Ability to build and maintain cooperative and mutually rewarding internal and external partnerships. Must have the ability to perform duties with independent judgment with underwriting authority and company underwriting standards. Demonstrated decision-making ability required in day-to-day operations where there may be unclear or competing priorities, including evaluating and recommending solutions to customer service, work processing, underwriting selection and rating and best practices compliance. Strong drive for results.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates Nationwide Values.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt)
Working Conditions: Extended and/or non-standard work hours may be required as well as extensive travel in the field. May require the ability to relocate. A valid driver’s license and safe driving record are required.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
We have an array of benefits to fit your needs, including: medical/dental/vision, life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, paid time off with newly hired associates receiving a minimum of 18 days paid time off each full calendar year pro-rated quarterly based on hire date, nine paid holidays, 8 hours of Lifetime paid time off, 8 hours of Unity Day paid time off, 401(k) with company match, company-paid pension plan, business casual attire, and more. To learn more about the benefits we offer, click here.
Nationwide is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone feels challenged, appreciated, respected and engaged. Nationwide prohibits discrimination and harassment and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to any characteristic (or classification) protected by applicable law.
Nationwide pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement within the actual starting salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity and location of the role as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. If a Sales job, Sales Incentives, based on performance goals are possible in addition to this range.
The national salary range for Territory Manager, Business Development – Surety : 94,000.00-193,000.00
The expected starting salary range for Territory Manager, Business Development – Surety : 104,000.00 – 156,000.00